Remember the following hints to be quite alert while choosing an antonym to the given word in bank exams.
- We should bear in mind that an antonym must be in the same part of speech in which the given word is.
- We should note that the answer should be in the same tense form in which the given word is.
- We must pay due attention to the fact that generally the question paper setters include a synonym in the alternative choices, given for the answer of the key word.
- Often the alternative answers are in Active as well as in Passive Voice. The correct answer is that which is similar in voice to the key word.
Antonyms can be formed in these ways:
- By adding a prefix like – un, non, dis, mis, anti, de, il, im, in, ir, mal
- By adding a suffix like – less, ful,
- By using a new word
- For a noun - by agreement
- For a verb - by answer, reply